How can you help keep your loved one’s mind sharp when they are in assisted living? There are a variety of simple ways to help maintain and even increase brain function in seniors. Try to incorporate some of the following suggestions in your loved one’s daily routines:
1. Exercise – Staying in excellent physical shape can actually help prevent some of the effects of aging.
2. Eat brain-healthy foods – Fruits and veggies that are rich in antioxidants can help keep a senior’s mind sharp. Also, foods such as fish, nuts and seeds include fats that help protect the brain.
3. Use brain-boosting supplements – Certain combinations of vitamins and other natural ingredients can help keep the brain sharp and a senior’s memory intact.
4. Do puzzles - Exercise seniors’ brains often by encouraging them to do challenging puzzles. These can include Sudoku, crosswords or even jigsaw puzzles. Anything that challenges them mentally.
5. Avoid smoking – Smoking can actually reduce oxygen to the brain, decreasing its function.
6. Avoid junk food – Similar to smoking, junk food can also limit oxygen to the brain, making it not function to its full capacity.
7. Sleep more – Getting at least eight hours of sleep a night can help to increase brain function and help seniors stay more alert during the daylight hours.
8. Stay educated - Continuing an education way past retirement can help seniors keep their mind active and engaged.
9. Stay social – Developing and maintaining relationships with peers is a great way for seniors to stay active and keep their brain working.
10. Keep a journal – A perfect way for seniors to keep their mind sharp and their memories fresh is by keeping a daily journal.
Brookdale Senior Living assisted living facilities are designed to help seniors maintain and even improve their quality of life. Contact us today to learn about an assisted living community near you and your loved one.
Back to Senior Living Articles