During this time of year, people begin thinking about gifts for the holidays. For a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease or other form of dementia, family members and friends oftentimes struggle with appropriate gift items.
Brookdale Senior Living, one of the leading providers of senior living residences in the nation, including Alzheimer's and dementia care offers these suggestions.
- A listening device with recordings of favorite songs.
- Framed enlargements of family pictures.
- A picture scrapbook of the loved one’s life, work, awards, and more.
- A photo album filled with pictures of past fun family activities.
- A personal reminisce/life enrichment box with contributions from all family members, based on the person’s specific interests.
- Recorded Bible readings, sermons or poetry.
- Lotions, creams, or favorite scent.
- A music box.
- A therapeutic photo memory quilt or fidget quilt, such as the ones at http://www.patchworkmemoryquilts.com
- A favorite dessert or treat.
- A leisurely stroll through a favorite place.
- A visit to a local church.
- A drive to see the holiday lights.
- A new pillow, sheet set or comforter.
- Soft lap blankets.
- Large print books.
- Soft, fuzzy nightwear or slippers.
- Holiday decorations to decorate their door or apartment.
"Regardless of abilities, loved ones with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia will appreciate and respond to gifts," said Juliet Holt, director of dementia care programming for Brookdale. "These gift suggestions highlight and encourage at least one dimension of living an Optimum Life®. We encourage providing opportunities for success during the holiday season."
Optimum Life a culture within Brookdale Senior Living communities where whole person wellness is achieved through fulfillment in six key dimensions - physical, emotional, purposeful, social, spiritual, and intellectual. Through the six dimensions of wellness, opportunities are provided for residents to choose a healthy lifestyle that adds value and fulfillment to their lives. Optimum Life® is exclusive to Brookdale, its residents and associates.
Brookdale’s Clare Bridge communities focus solely on Alzheimer’s and dementia care. These and other select communities offer secured environments and programs for those with Alzheimer’s and dementia, in which trained staff provide memory care services and help ensure Daily Moments of Success for residents of Brookdale communities.
Back to Press Room